West Lake Beef Soup
When adding the seasonings, feel free to also add 1 tablespoon cilantro if desired.
- 2/3 cup lean ground beef
- Seasonings for Beef:
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon water
- a few drops sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 - 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water (optional)
- 2 eggs or egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, green parts only, washed, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
In a medium bowl, add the seasonings to the ground beef, adding the cornstarch last (use your fingers to mix in the cornstarch). Marinate the ground beef for 15 minutes.
While the beef is marinating, bring the chicken stock or broth to a boil. Stir in the marinated ground beef, using chopsticks to break up any lumps. Add the sugar and pepper. Bring the soup back to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for a few minutes to allow the ground beef to cook. Taste and add extra salt if needed.
If desired, add the extra 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with water and stir to thicken.
Very slowly pour in the egg whites in a steady stream. Use a fork to gently stir the eggs in a clockwise direction until they form thin streams or ribbons.
Garnish with green onion and serve.
Yield: 4-5 Servings