Young children enjoy making these, as the dough is quite "gooey".
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (more if desired)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter (whichever you prefer for baking)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)*
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda into a bowl.
Use an electric mixer to beat the butter or margarine, shortening, and white and brown sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat until well blended. Stir in the walnuts.
Stir in the flour mixture.
Take a tablespoon of cookie dough and form into a ball about the size of a golf ball. Place on a lightly greased cookie tray, approximately 2 inches apart, and press down lightly with a fork.
Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 - 17 minutes, or until golden brown. When thoroughly cooled, store in a sealed container.
*If desired, brush each cookie lightly with beaten egg before baking.