Vegetarian Sweet and Sour Spareribs
- 10 - 12 cups water for boiling walnuts
- 4 teaspoons salt for boiling walnuts
- 3 ounces fresh shelled walnuts
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon oil for stir-frying
- 6 ounces pineapple slices (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 medium carrot, shredded, for garnish
Bring 5 to 6 cups water with 2 teaspoons salt to a boil. Boil the walnuts in the boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain. Repeat one more time. (This removes any bitter taste from the walnuts). Drain and allow the walnuts to cool.
Cut the bell peppers into bite-sized chunks. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the 3 tablespoons water and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to a frying pan or preheated wok. When the oil is hot, add the walnuts. Stir-fry briefly, then add the bell peppers and the pineapple slices. Stir in the sweet and sour sauce. Give the cornstarch mixture a quick restir and add. Mix and serve hot, garnished with the carrot.
Yield: 2-4 Servings