Deep-fried wonton are stuffed with mashed bean curd. Vegetarians who don't eat egg can substitute 1 tablespoon oil for the beaten egg.
- 1/2 cup mashed firm tofu
- 1 green onion, diced
- 4 water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 1 bok choy leaf, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 45 wonton wrappers, or as needed
- 3 to 4 cups oil for deep-frying, as needed
- Hoisin sauce or soy sauce for dipping, as needed
Drain and mash the tofu. Wash and prepare all the vegetables. Lightly beat the egg with the salt and pepper. Combine the mashed tofu and vegetables with the egg and seasonings.
Heat the oil for deep-frying while you are wrapping the wontons. The oil should be heated to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
To fill the wontons, lay a wrapper in front of you so that it forms a diamond shape. Wet all the edges of the wrapper with water. Place a teaspoon of filling in the middle. Bring the top half of the wrapper over the filling and seal the edges.
Deep-fry the wontons until they are golden and crispy (about 2 minutes). Serve with hoisin sauce or soy sauce.
Yield: 45-50 Wontons