Turkey, Mandarin and Poppy Seed Salad
The secret ingredient in this dish is the Dijon mustard in the dressing. Not only does its strong, almost sweet flavor provide a nice balance to the red wine vinegar, but it thickens the dressing, holding the olive oil and vinegar together. Feel free to replace the poppy seeds with sesame seeds if desired.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups red leaf lettuce, washed, dried, chilled and torn
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, washed, dried, chilled and torn
- 1/2 pound cooked turkey breast, cut into 1/2-inch julienne
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Orange Zest, as needed
Dressing: In a small bowl combine orange juice, vinegar, poppy seeds, oil, mustard and pepper. Set aside.
Salad: In a large bowl toss together lettuce, spinach, turkey and oranges. Pour dressing over turkey mixture.
Garnish with orange zest and serve immediately.
Total Carbohydrate: 19 grams
Total Fat: 4 grams
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Sodium: 667 mg
Protein: 14 grams