Thai Chicken in Green Curry - (Gaeng Kiew Wahn Gai)
A classic Thai dish, made with coconut milk and seasoned with fresh herbs.
- 4 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil for stir-frying
- 500 grams (17.5 ounces or about 2 1/4 cups) coconut milk
- 400 grams (14 ounces) Chicken Breast, Sliced
- 4 pieces eggplant (about 1 eggplant), or an equal amount of cauliflower, as needed*
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 10 grams (about 2 teaspoons, a few sprigs) fresh chopped Basil Leaves, or as desired
- 1 red chili pepper, sliced
Heat the oil in a wok and fry the curry paste for one minute.
Add coconut milk and bring to a boil, add chicken, eggplant, and kaffir lime leaves.
Season with fish sauce and sugar. Once the chicken is cooked, add the basil and chili.
Serve with steamed rice.
Curry pastes vary in strength and spiciness from mild to fiery hot.
Consult your shop on your preferences.
Green curry can also be prepared with beef, pork, or just vegetables.
*The eggplants are primarily for texture; if desired you can substitute cauliflower.