Prawns With Hot Bean Sauce
- 1 pound prawns peeled and deveined
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, or as needed
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon hot bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cups oil for deep-frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 3 to 4 lettuce leaves, shredded
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
Rinse the prawns under warm running water and pat dry. Leave whole, or cut in half lengthwise if desired. Use your fingers to mix in the mariande ingredients. Marinate the prawns for 30 minutes.
While the prawns are marinating, prepare the sauce and vegetables. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Set aside. In another small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Set aside. Chop the green onion and ginger.
Heat the oil in a wok to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. When the oil is hot, add the marinated prawns. Deep-fry until they change color and are nearly cooked. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and drain.
Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok. Add the ginger and green onion and stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the sauce ingredients. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken. Add the prawns back into the wok. Sprinkle the salt and sugar over top. Serve the prawns on top of the torn lettuce leaves, with lemon wedges for garnish.
Yield: 4 Servings