Szechuan Prawns With Tomato Sauce
Feel free to turn this into a complete one-dish meal by adding other vegetables such as red bell pepper, onions and carrots.
- 1 pound prawns
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine (sherry)
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Wash and devein prawns. Prepare water/cornstarch mixture.
Heat wok. When hot, add three tablespoons oil.
If adding onions, red peppers, and carrrots, add them now, stirring while you add them.
Stir-fry vegetables for about one minute, then push them up to the side of the wok and add the prawns. Mix well.
When prawns have turned pink (very quick), add garlic, ginger and green onion, and then the hot bean sauce, cooking wine and catsup, stirring all the while.
Add the salt and sugar. Give the water/cornstarch mixture a quick restir, and pour it in.
Stir. If you like, you can a bit of chicken broth at this point to season.
Yield: 3-4 Servings