Stir-Fried Spicy Sweet Potatoes
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Zest of 1 navel orange, cut julienne
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon or more Oriental chili paste
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 4 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 " julienne, then in 1/2" diagonal lengths
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion greens
Combine first 7 ingredients for sauce. Set aside. In a small saucepan of boiling water, blanch orange zest 1 1/2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet that has a cover. Add orange zest, garlic, ginger, and chili paste and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sweet potatoes and stir-fry until coated, about 30 seconds.
Re-stir sauce and add to sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, then cook, covered, over moderate heat until sweet potatoes are tender but not soft, 10 - 12 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to sweet potatoes, stirring until thickened. Stir in scallions.
Yield: 4 Servings