Spring Beef on Egg Noodles
It goes well with a red wine such as Merlot or Shiraz.
- 3/4 pound or 375 grams Rump Steak
- 1 bunch spring onions (green onions)
- 1/4 red, 1/4 yellow and 1/4 green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (not the virgin or extra-virgin varieties) , or as needed
- 500 grams (or 1 pound) fresh egg noodles or pasta
Cut the beef into thin strips, removing as much fat as possible during cutting.
Wash, drain and chop the spring onions. Slice the peppers. In a small bowl, combine the sherry and dark soy sauce and set aside.
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry wok. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown until it is nearly cooked through (4 minutes maximum).
Add the spring onions and pepper into the pan. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the sherry and soy sauce mixture and cook 2 minutes until the sauce has darkened.
Remove the wok from the heat and add the sesame seeds. Let the food stand in the wok while you are cooking the noodles.
Cook the noodles in 1 teaspoon of oil in a separate wok or non-stick pan for 2 minutes.
To serve, put the beef and noodles in the middle of table and allow people to help themselves. A red wine such as a Merlot or a Shiraz goes well with this dish.
Yield: 4 Servings