Sesame chicken is a very popular restaurant dish. The sauce recipe was posted on our forum by Reykjaviky. (You may want to increase the vinegar or lower the amount of sugar. It all depends on how sweet you want the sauce).
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine or dry sherry
- a few drops of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Sauce for Sesame Chicken:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/8 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 TB dark soy sauce
- 2 TB sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste, or more if desired
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (see recipe directions for link to how to toast)
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups peanut oil for deep-frying
Toast the sesame seeds and set aside.
Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
To prepare the sauce: mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Pour them into a small pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
To deep-fry the chicken: add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.
Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve the Sesame Chicken with rice.
Yield: 3-4 Servings