Oriental-style Sea Scallops
Oriental vegetables combined with an interesting blend of seasonings give this light and healthy stir-fry its exotic flavor.
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame or vegetable oil
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 3 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage or bok choy
- 2 cups snow peas, ends trimmed
- 1 cup shitake or common mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 teaspoons ground star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons light reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons NutraSweet Spoonful
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
Stir-fry broccoli and onion 3 to 4 minutes in oil in wok or large skillet. Add scallops, cabbage, snow peas, mushrooms, garlic, anise and coriander; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth, vinegar and soy sauce; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until scallops are cooked and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Heat to boiling.
Mix cornstarch and cold water. Stir cornstarch mixture into boiling mixture; boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in NutraSweet® Spoonful™, serve over rice.
NOTE: 2 teaspoons five-spice powder can be substituted for the star anise and coriander, while amounts of vinegar and soy sauce may need to be adjusted to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving (1/6th of the recipe, approximately 2 ounces scallops and 2/3 cup rice) - 330 cal, 20 g protein, 49 g carb, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 26 mg chol, 2 g fiber, 276 mg sodium.
Yield: 6 Servings